Monday, April 7, 2014

Getting Passed

I have a lot of experience with getting passed by people in races. I really don't mind if one of my friends pass me. I know they've been training hard, and I'm happy that they're having a good race. I care a little bit more if someone passes me that I don't train with regularly, but as long as I know that they've also been training, I'm still pretty neutral. My degree of caring goes up with each of the following:

Getting Chicked. I didn't come up with that name, or phenomena, nor do I know if I can use the phrase because I am a girl. However, I do feel worse when a girl passes me versus a guy because I might have just given up a spot in my age group.

Running-outfitted. Added to this are running skirts and too much pink. However, I recognize that most people care about their appearance more than I do, and most uniforms match.

iPoded. When people pass me wearing an iPod, they look so calm and collected. This just annoys me. Racing is hard damnit, be miserable!

Basektball-shorted / Tutu-ed / Costumed. Because, when you're wearing compression socks and arm-warmers, you look pretty silly getting passed by someone dressed like a basketball player, ballerina, or banana.

Running Strollered. Yes, this has actually happened to me, but the guy who did it is a really good runner, so I cared slightly less... but still!

Vibram Five-fingered. Wear real shoes! I can't stand listening to their feet flap behind / in front of me for minutes on end. I start having flashbacks to a half marathon I raced where I traded spots with a guy wearing them from the 10k mark on. And, he was wearing unnecessarily short shorts (the true minimalist runner I guess), so it was just bad.

1 comment: