Thursday, July 3, 2014

June Recap

So June. Happy un-marathon training to me! It got hot. But it's summer. So I'm ok with that. What I'm not ok with are the snakes and horseflies, which also came out. This has resulted in a weird combo of jumping at everything... sticks, rocks, leaves, trash, mile marker signs, not sticks (aka snakes)... and karate-chopping the air. Oh well.

As for training, I've actually seen some improvements. My shorter intervals are getting faster. Not quite to "high school" fast, but approaching. I actually got under 40sec for some 200's, and under 85sec for some 400's. I haven't seen those times in a while. I don't really know about longer intervals, but my timed mile came down 9sec. Part of this was due to becoming acclimated to the heat and humidity, but part of it was because mile pace doesn't seem like an all out sprint anymore. I actually felt pretty decent for the first 1000m, and my main problems didn't seem to be breathing related, more hamstring-tightness related.

I've also started throwing in some tempo work on Thursdays. I have problems doing longer tempo runs in the summer. Part of its breathing-sucking-in-humidity related, and part of it is just mental. So, this tempo work had mostly been in the form of longer intervals or hills, but it's still something. Or, better than nothing I should say. I'd like to start trying some longer stuff in the next couple of weeks, which means I need to get up early and run or actually make it out to Raleigh Running Outfitters for their Thursday group runs.

My long runs are lacking. I try and hit double digits at least once a week, but sometimes I just barely eek by. That probably needs to change, although I really don't need to run much over 13 miles until the late summer / fall. However, as a result of decreased weekly mileage, my easy runs (in which I'm including long runs) are actually getting faster. So, I guess that's good.

And cross training. Hells yeah! I've kept up with spin class on Wednesday. And, I've swum a few times. But, I'VE DONE 2 BRICKS! Yes. Two weeks in a row... a little over 20-miles on the bike followed by a 5-mile run. They weren't half bad. I need to ride my bike more so that I remember how to drink water because I am definitely dehydrated on the run (I am paranoid about taking my hands off the handlebars to reach down and get my water bottle). But yeah. I might consider a fall triathlon. Maybe olympic distance. Maybe Pinehurst.  

Total: 186.5 miles [training log]


No comments:

Post a Comment