Tuesday, June 10, 2014

6/2 - 6/8

Mon: 6-miles, core
Tues: 12x400m (96, 91, 92, 91, 90, 90, 88, 87, 85, 85, 83, 86), core
Wed: 4-miles, spin class
Thurs: 6-miles (trail)
Fri: Swim- 5 sets of 200yd swim / 200yd stroke
Sat: 8-miles
Sun: 10-miles, core
Total: 40-miles

Not the best training week.

Monday's run went ok. I was definitely still stiff from the weekend, and I fell behind the group on the last mile.

Tuesday's track workout went pretty well. We were supposed to gradually get faster over the course of the 400's. Sean said to start at current 5k pace and descend to goal 5k pace, taking off a second per 400m. That seemed a bit ambitious. Having said that, I basically did that, although my splits are in no way, shape, or form related to what I could do in a 5k (or even a mile!). If I was perfectly healthy right now, I think I could run a 20min 5k with a little bit of work (at least, I refuse to accept that I can't). That would be 6:27/mile, or ~96sec 400m. My 5k PR is a 19:38, and my realistic goal 5k pace is ~6:15 (a 6:16 would be a 94sec 400m). So yeah, I was quite a bit faster except for the first 400m. I accelerated, for the most part, throughout the set. And, I even got down to the mid-80's for a few. So, I should be pleased, but I'm mad that I couldn't keep up at the end. The 83 damn near killed me!

Wednesday's run was also eh. Again, my right leg really hurt for the first 1/2-mile or so, but then it seemed better. It was really hot and humid though and I didn't feel that great. 

Thursday's trail run was a bit more pleasant despite the horse flies starting to come out. I take shorter steps when I run trails, and I don't care if I'm going slower, so my leg felt a little better.

I gave up and swam on Friday. It felt much better than running. While contemplating the fact that I really was not hating swimming, I realized that if my right leg hurt for every footfall on that side, that it would literally be hurting every second I ran, and that would be a slow cadence. That seemed outright depressing. And stupid. And it made me feel kind of crazy for running.

Saturday's run felt a little better, until I looked at how long it took me to run 8-miles. I'm really hoping I was just still asleep. It was early (like 5:30AM when we started so we could get our run in before the Galloway Run).

Sunday's run also felt a little better. And, it was at a much more reasonable pace. We ran on a section of the Neuse River Greenway out towards Smithfield. It was more rolling than I expected, but it was nice. The only problem was the lack of water.

I am growing more and more concerned about my right leg. I'm not even isolating what hurts now, my whole leg hurts. During spin class, transitioning between sitting and standing was really bugging my right knee, although once we were in one position for a bit, I was able to adapt to one position after a bit. Having said that, one time after we were standing for a while, I nearly came to a stop when we went back to sitting. My knee cap felt like it was going to pop right out of my right knee. I backed the resistance way off, and then gradually added it back. I iced (even though that is apparently detrimental) and stretched and foam-rolled quite a bit that night. I felt a little bit better on Sunday after foam rolling the crap out of my right leg on Saturday, but I still had to stop right at 10 miles because my hamstring was starting to "pinch".

No comments:

Post a Comment