Tuesday, May 20, 2014

5/12 - 5/18

Mon: 6.5-miles + core
Tues: 1-mile (6:04) + drills & core
Wed: 4-miles, spin class
Thurs: 6-miles
Fri: 4-miles
Sat: 10.5-miles, Swim: 5 sets 100yd swim / 100yd pull
Sun: 8-miles
Total: 45 miles

Holy summer batman! It was a just a tad warm in the beginning of the week, but I am not complaining after the winter we had. However, I am definitely not acclimated yet! Monday night's run, and even the morning runs, felt a lot faster than they were.

Tuesday's timed mile was pretty miserable as well. First off, I missed the "mass start" because I got water. Luckily, Andrew and Allison did as well, so I resorted to chasing them for 4 laps. I was hoping for 6min or right under, but I was right over in 6:04. My legs felt ok, but I couldn't breathe. My lungs still burned the next day! I need to get used to that again. It's been a while. Anyways, we finished up with drills and I ran back to the house to get 6-miles in for the day.

Matt and I ran early Thursday morning so we could go see Godzilla at night. I debated doing pickups, but decided not to because we were both still tired from spin class the night before. I ran some more easy miles on Friday. I felt a lot better. It was also a lot cooler.

Saturday morning's run didn't go as well. My back was tight, and my hamstring was really tight. On a positive note, downhills and flats seemed ok, it was just the uphills that sucked (as they should). I tried swimming that night as a form of an "active core workout". I think I made up that term, but anyways, swimming IS a good core workout and A LOT more interesting than situps. Plus, it does have cardiovascular benefits, and flip-turns stretch out my back. So yeah, apparently that is what swimming is to me. And, being that Fitness Connection is conveniently located next to work and I've already paid for a membership, I don't have any excuses not to swim. 

Sunday morning's run was better- (1) it was flatter and (2) I was bio-freezed up. I like that section of the ATT. It would be good for tempo runs. The only problem is that I didn't see a water fountain. However, I did see a huge beetle, which Matt also saw and picked up and chased me with.

In other news, I tried the ElliptiGo at Raleigh Running Outfitters. I made it all of 25m (or about the distance from the front of RRO to the chairs at the restaurant next door). Starting was a little unstable, and I was very nervous about stopping. But, for the 2 to 3 rotations that I got in outside of starting/stopping, it was interesting. However, while I'm sure it's a good workout, I think humanity would benefit from someone as spastic as myself sticking to the stationary version.

No comments:

Post a Comment