Monday, June 22, 2015

Week 3 of Un-Marathon Training

Mon: 5.5-miles on elliptical
Tues: 7-miles on elliptical (hill)
Wed: off
Thurs: 7-miles on elliptical (random)
Fri: 7-miles on elliptical (hill)
Sat: epic 35-mile bike ride
Sun: 2500 yd swim (200yd swim / 200yd pull; 100yd cooldown)

Ok, so the gym was really crowded on Tuesday, forcing me to use the *scary* Life Fitness elliptical with the *shoulder dislocating* arm things that move back and forth. Turns out, neither of my shoulders got dislocated, and I actually liked it better than the other elliptical because it felt closer to running. It gives you your pace in mph like a treadmill, and it stays at one incline level and just changes the resistance to make things harder. An 8-min pace feels like an 8-min pace, but it's taken me a while to wrap my head around faster being easier (aka the resistance is lower). My arms do hurt, so I've stopped that for a bit and put myself into an *aero position* holding on to the stationary hand grips.

Which brings me to Saturday's epic bike ride. I've ridden my bike one other time this year... last weekend... 12-miles on the greenway. Last year, I optimistically completed a handful of 15-20 mile rides, and same with the two years previous to that. So clearly it makes good sense to blatantly ignore the *10% rule* so you can ride with your running friends and get awesome brunch at Guglhupf. In all fairness, it was supposed to be 30-miles, and I don't know, but I somehow convinced myself that 15-miles was only 3-miles more than I had ridden last week, so doubling that should be ok. Problem is, the difference needed to be doubled as well, bringing it to 6-miles (aka half of last week's ride) on top of twice of last week's ride. Math is a !@#$%. Anyways, it was totally worth it and I need to ride my bike more!

My back and legs were pretty tight on Sunday, so no running for at least Monday and Tuesday. I might attempt a short run on Wednesday or Thursday... legs are starting to feel better!

No comments:

Post a Comment