Sunday, June 7, 2015

Week 1 of Un-marathon Training

Monday: off... I need to ease into this whole un-training program.

Tuesday: 60min exercise bike while reading The Omnivore's Dilemma. Reading is my way of showing everyone else at the gym (who I know couldn't care less) that I would rather be running. That, and I can really only read something other than papers for any length of time while on the exercise bike or plane.

Wednesday: 5-miles. Screw this, I'm not not running on National Running Day. Yes. Double negative. I don't want to over-commit to saying that I ran because I usually draw the line for easy runs on days other than Friday at 6-miles. Wow, that's nuts now that I write it.

Thursday: 5-miles elliptical. This started out as 45min, but then I switched over from stride/min to distance and realized that I was at 4.6something miles with a minute to go. 5-miles is so much cleaner, so clearly I had to keep ellipticalling. I kept the resistance at a level that didn't hurt my knees to work against it, but didn't jar my leg on the upswing. I also picked an incline that didn't engage my calf and tried to stay at 180+ strides/min.

Friday: 5-miles elliptical (same as Thursday). This time, I remembered my glasses so that I could see the TV, even if I don't listen to it (I would much rather listen to music). Apparently some basketball player hurt his knee. I watched him limp for nearly 1/2 of the slightly more than 45min of ellipticalling. The US men's soccer team also beat the Netherlands, which they only showed like 3min of, but I would have much preferred to watch repeatedly than someone getting hurt.

Saturday: 2500yd swim (6 sets of 200yd swim / 200yd pull; 100yd cooldown). I swam at the Edison Johnson Aquatics Center, which is like a mile away from my house... really nice pool.

Sunday: 2500yd swim (50-100-200-300-400-300-200-100-50 w/ 100yd pull in between repeats). 400yds is long!

Ok, here's the long and short of it. I didn't feel like I did much of anything on Tuesday, most likely because I didn't actually do much of anything. I mean, it's not like I'm going to get a solid workout in while reading. Wednesday hurt. Turns out, two days off didn't cure me, but it was a hypothesis worth testing. In the name of science. What type of scientist would I be if I didn't? Thursday and Friday were a little better. I still didn't feel like I got the same workout as if I ran 5-miles, but it didn't hurt nearly as much either. Eventually, I could probably figure out some sort of interval arrangement once my knees feel better. Anyways, swimming went well even though I haven't swam since it was too icy to run outside. Again, not as hard as running, but I was definitely tired at the end and it didn't hurt. I also went on a walk with Matt Friday, Saturday, and Sunday because it's soooo nice outside and being outside is one of the things that I really miss about running.

No comments:

Post a Comment