Tuesday, February 4, 2014

January Recap

Well, I finally managed to get off my a$$ and train this month. 232 miles... haven't come close to that since July of last year! Lots of these miles were slow, but I did get my long run up from a whopping 11 miles to 17 miles. And, I've managed to keep doing a track workout every week, as well as some marathon-paced tempo runs. The weather has been pretty awful for the most part. I have run when the wind chill has made it in the single digits, and when it was 60+ degrees and 100% humidity, and when it's been pouring rain, and when there's been snow on the ground. [training log]

However, I haven't really done any core (or cross training of any kind), and my eating habits still aren't that great. So, in February, I think I'm going to try and work on this. I also plan to try and incorporate some more tempo runs. I'm a big fan of Jack Daniel's training method (aka I read his book and it made sense to me). Phase I is the base building (injury prevention), Phase II is intervals (initial quality), Phase III is tempo (transition quality), and Phase IV is fine tuning. Ideally, each phase is 6 weeks. I have been trying to kind of follow that, but December didn't go as well as planned. So, instead of 6 weeks for each, it's more like 4. January was base building with some intervals, which makes February intervals with some tempo. And, truth be told, tempo is my least favorite, and probably where I need to spend the most time.

No comments:

Post a Comment