Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Why Umstead Needs a Food Court...

I ate the same thing that I always do on Fridays. I ate the same thing for breakfast that I have for the past 5 years for morning runs. This usually works. That's why I've done it for 5 years. I know that seems a little OCD to most people, but I don't have time to screw around. I need to do a long runs, and I need to get to work by 10AM.

However, on this weekend's 20-miler, I was starving by mile 13. As in stomach growling. It was pretty ridiculous. I ate a GU, Jet Blackberry, my favorite. I have literally been carrying this GU with me for any run over 13 miles since the summer. It's my "safety GU". My good luck charm. Well, now it's gone. It helped, for like a mile, but my brain quickly realized that I didn't eat a peanutbutter and jelly sandwich like I tried to tell myself that I did. And, the 2x caffeine woke me up a enough to realize how hungry I really was.

Dang. I wanted to get to 20-miles because I am running out of time to get long runs in before Boston (only 8 more weeks... crap). I started to think about food. I really wanted a hamburger. No, a cheeseburger. And sweet potato fries. With lots of ketchup. I'd even downgrade to McDonalds. Help an Olympic athlete and all. Anything. But there's nothing in the middle of Umstead, certainly no fast food oasis.

As I thought about hamburger toppings, and if cheese dip would taste good with sweet potato fries, and any number of things related to this imaginary meal that I really wanted to eat at like 8AM, I kept getting hungrier. I tried to distract myself by focusing on running. Enjoy the scenery. That lasted all of 30 seconds.

Caffeine. Maybe that would help. Clearly I was losing it. But, I didn't want anything sweet (aka the coke that would go really well with my fake meal). I needed caffeine-infused food. Caffeine is simply a molecule, clearly they should be able to make a caffeinated hamburger. Although, maybe ketchup would be easier. ThinkGeek probably already has some caffeinated maple syrup or bacon or something. Bacon. Mmmm. 

I think the climb out of Umstead snapped me out of the delusion that I could consume a cheeseburger and fries and still make it the 4-miles that I needed to run. But apparently not out of the delusion that there was going to be a cheeseburger and fries waiting for me at the gate. Pretzels had been mentioned at some point during the run. I could definitely eat a pretzel and make it 4-miles, with caffeinated mustard of course. 

Sadly, when I finally made it up the hill to where I was parked, there was no caffeinated-mustard pretzel waiting for me. Problem is, that's a completely made up food.


No comments:

Post a Comment