Monday, November 11, 2013

11/4 - 11/10

Mon: 5 (or 6) sets of 200yd swim / 200yd pull, 100yd aqua jog
Tues: 3x2000m (8:12, 8:10, 8:13)
Wed: 5 sets of 200yd swim / 200yd pull, 100yd cooldown, 100yd aqua jog
Thurs: 7.5-miles (w/ 4-miles at a "good effort")
Fri: 90min Hot Yoga
Sat: 7-miles
Sun: 10.5-miles
Total: 30.5-miles

It is hard for me to look at that weekly mileage total and feel like I did anything. But, my hamstring is starting to feel better and Sunday's run was one of my better "long" runs for a bit. I think I'm going to try adding back "Monday's run".

On Monday, I lost track of how many sets I did between 2 and 3, hence why I don't know if I did 5 or 6 sets total. The first set felt awful. For some reason, swimming in the deep end felt really hard. Wednesday's swimming went much better, and I'm actually starting to feel slightly stronger in terms of upper body strength. Aqua jogging actually felt pretty good. Hot yoga seemed to help a lot. I think I need to go to the 90min session vs. the 60min session, it seemed like it helped a lot more. I guess that means I'll have to get to the lab early on Fridays!

Tuesday's track workout went ok. I ran with Dave, which was nice. I want to start training with him again. We're in the same boat for the half marathon (both wanting to break 1:30, although his PR is ~15sec faster than mine). We hit the 2000's closer to my current 5k ability (came through the mile in the low 6:30's), but that wasn't too far off of my 10k goal pace of 6:40 (which is what we were supposed to be hitting them in). 6:40 pace would have given us an 8:20 overall, so we weren't too far off. I felt ok. My hamstring is still a little tight. And maybe something in my glute too. I don't know. Anyways, the last 2 laps of each repeat were challenging. I'm guessing Dave and I were pretty much at our limits too. During the first repeat, the "A team" was a little slow, so we could pace off of them. Geck pushed us from behind on the second repeat. But, for the third repeat, we were all alone. We did ok through the 1200m, but we were both pushing equally as hard. But, a 3 second spread isn't bad, and all were below our goal pace.

Thursday's tempo workout was... ehhh. I didn't feel that great, although my hamstring felt ok. Don't know if it was the flu shot or what. That and traffic was stupid. People can't drive. My favorite was two guys trying to pull into the same spot from opposite directions outside of Cup-a-Joe. I still put in a "good effort" (lower 7's) for 4 consecutive miles, so that's not bad. 

Consulted with "coach" about what my workout paces should be to run sub-1:30 in the half. I have to knock 5sec of my "10k pace" for the last few years (down to a 6:35 for track workouts), 6:45 for tempo runs in the 1-4 mile range, and HM-tempo should be in the low 6:50's. That sounds tough to me, but do-able I guess. I just need people to run with.


No comments:

Post a Comment