Monday, October 28, 2013

10/21 - 10/27

Mon: 6-miles
Tues: 200-400-600-800-1000-800-600-400-200
Wed: 6-miles
Thurs: 7.5-miles (tried to do the middle 5-miles at a "good effort")
Fri: 4-miles (stupid swimming and yoga... I'll just run even though I really need to cross train)
Sat: 10-miles (Turkey Creek)
Sun: 5-miles (6 x 2min pickups)
Total: 44.5 miles

Monday's run felt reasonable. The Mizuno rep was at the Hibernian Harriers run, so I got to try out the Sayonaras, and I actually liked them. I took it a little bit easier on Wednesday. I wanted to swim Friday, but the pool was closed for a meet and I was too late for yoga (grrrrrr...). I managed to get in 40+ miles, which is much better than the last 2 weeks. This had been about my mileage goal for this week before I got injured. So, I guess I'm ok with it, but not really. I wanted to get in a longer run over the weekend, but my leg still hurts. 

Tuesday's track workout went pretty well. The shorter stuff was a little bit slower than it has been, but my hamstring (mostly my right leg) is still a wee bit tight, and I didn't want to set myself back. I ran with Dave mostly, it was nice to have him back for track workouts! Newt kept us honest in the longer repeats. I ran 43 (200), 91 (400), 2:15 (600), 3:05 (800), 3:56 (1000), 3:06 (800), 2:14 (600), 90 (400), and 43 (200). So, pretty consistent up and down the ladder, or pyramid, or whatever you want to call that workout. The 600's are always the hardest for me, probably because I run them at the same pace as the 400's. Oh well. The workout was supposed to be done at 5k pace, but I was a little bit faster, not too unreasonable though on the longer stuff.

Thursday's workout went ok as well. We ran out on the greenway and back on North Hills. I forgot how hilly North Hills is! Anyways, my right hamstring was still pretty tight, so I didn't want to push it too much, but I still wanted to get a good effort in. Sadly, now, "good effort" is marathon pace. I need to work on that. But, for now, at least I'm running.

Friday's run and Saturday's run both hurt. It was also 30 degrees on Saturday. This sucked both in terms of my hamstring/hip hurting and breathing. I kept having to stop. It was frustrating. Plus, I think I was half asleep still when I was running. I had intended to run 12+ miles (or 100min), but my leg really hurt. I kind of want to run the City of Oaks Half Marathon. So, I decided not to go past 10-miles.  I ran 5 miles on Sunday and mixed in 5x2min repeats with 1min recovery. Then, I took a little break, and threw in a 6th one on the way back to kind of simulate pushing at the end of a race. My hamstring felt ok, but my legs fatigued quicker. I think stuff is still tight and I'm relying on smaller muscles more than I should.

I'm just frustrated. I want to train again. I'm not sure what this means for November. I know I'm going to be traveling a lot the last two weeks, so that will help curtail my training. I need to fix this problem. I have spent most of the last year not training because of some nagging problem. And, my hamstring/back/hip has been a problem since last spring. When I'm running, I'm sick of it because stuff hurts. When I don't run, all I want to do is run. I want to start building a base in December, and start training for Boston in January. 

No comments:

Post a Comment